Monday, November 28, 2011

Video: The Muppets, Bob Hope and the 1978 World Series

Video: The Muppets, Bob Hope and the 1978 World Series

"The Muppets" took in a nostalgia-fueled $42 million over its first five days and I was only too happy to kick in my own $10 for a childhood-trippin' fix. The high lasted long enough to send me on a search for Muppet-related material once I got home, which is how I happened upon this video of Kermit, Miss Piggy and Bob Hope doing a skit during a two-hour special that Hope hosted before the start of the 1978 World Series.

Why am I posting this? Well, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to showcase Miss Piggy doing her best Scott Boras or a chance to post the above photo of Ron Guidry (who's mentioned in the bit). But I also can't quite believe that the networks once considered the World Series an event worthy of a two-hour comedy special ? and not a nuisance getting in the way of Hugh Laurie's ratings.

Then again, we're talking about a time when it was apparently perfectly acceptable for the show to include Hope and Danny Kaye in a two-minute sketch that used�the crudest Japanese stereotypes possible. At any rate, onto The Muppets-Hope sketch, which was also much better than this weird video of a Yankees fan imagining what the 2001 World Series would have been like had Kermit and Gonzo been involved.�

Dwight Howard Albert Pujols Cleveland Indians Vince Wilfork

No comments:

Post a Comment