Friday, October 14, 2011

Spurrier ?not proud? of snubbing local columnist, but has no plans to apologize

If The State newspaper columnist Ron Morris is waiting for an apology from Steve Spurrier, he might be waiting a long time.

Spurrier ?not proud? of snubbing local columnist, but has no plans to apologizeSpurrier said on his weekly Thursday night call-in radio show that he had no regrets about refusing to do his weekly press conference while Morris was in the room.

"I'm not proud of what I did,"�Spurrier said. "I'm not apologizing for it. I don't know if I was right. I don't know if I was wrong. But�I can assure you this. It won't happen again. Once is enough. That won't happen again as long as I'm at South Carolina."

Spurrier was miffed at Morris for a story he wrote back in the spring regarding Spurrier recruiting then-South Carolina point guard Bruce Ellington, who is now a Gamecock receiver, away from the basketball team. So Spurrier called Morris out in front of his peers and told other reporters he would meet with them in another room, or after Morris had left:

"I'm not gonna talk when [Morris] is in here. That's my right as a head coach. I don't have to talk to him, and I don't have to talk to him when he's in here. So what we're gonna do, all you TV guys, I'm gonna do a personal interview with you in this other room. And the writers that are still left in here, I'll come back here and talk with you right after that.

"OK? Everybody for that? What room we got? Media room? OK! Bring your cameras down there and let's do some one-on-one."

From the sound of Spurrier's comments on his radio show, it doesn't look like he and Morris have kissed and made up, which should make for an interesting postgame after Mississippi State on Saturday.

Not sure what point Spurrier was trying to get across with his stunt, but it's probably not going to stop reporters who cover his team from writing controversial things, especially since the team continues to give reporters ample ammunition.

- - -
Graham Watson is on Facebook and Twitter: Follow her @Yahoo_Graham.

Cleveland Indians Boston Red Sox Paul Pierce San Diego Padres Boston Celtics

No comments:

Post a Comment