Sunday, May 6, 2012

Mario Williams can?t have #90, says Chris Kelsay

Big-time free agents usually get their way. If Mario Williams wanted the Bills to manufacture him a brand new shoehorn made of solid gold before every game, he probably could've gotten it.

One thing he can't have though, is his preferred jersey number, 90. That belongs to long-time Bill Chris Kelsay, and he doesn't want to give it up. Here's Kelsay on why the 90 is staying with him, via the Buffalo News:

"People who have never played don't realize how attached you can actually get to a number," Kelsay said. "Having played with it my whole career, it was something I don't really want to part with and [Williams] completely understood. That was basically it."

He's right; I don't get it. To me, it's just a number, and if I were in his shoes and a standard jersey number transaction were offered to me ? say, $10,000 in exchange for it ? I'd take it every time. I'll wear #237. I don't care.

That's not to say that Kelsay should give up the number. He's the veteran here. Mario Williams has been a Buffalo Bill for a few hours. Kelsay has been a Buffalo Bill for nine years. In matters like these, it seems to me that we should defer to the veteran.

I hope you didn't jump the gun with one of these.

Gracias, NFL.com.

St. Louis Rams Shaquille Oneal San Francisco Giants

No comments:

Post a Comment