Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Terrelle Pryor has piqued the interest of the Cleveland Browns

The Cleveland Browns are entertaining the notion of spending a supplemental draft pick on Terrelle Pryor, according to the intrepid Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Colt McCoy, Seneca Wallace and Jake Delhomme are the quarterbacks currently on the Browns roster, and no disrespect to those gentlemen, but you could understand why the Browns might want to do their homework on Pryor. Or, given that depth chart, anyone else who has ever touched a football, really.

I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to believe that Pryor could be a worthwhile investment, too. In fact, I wonder if he didn't make a mistake by not waiting another year to enter the draft. Even if he didn't want to return to Ohio State, maybe he should've considered spending a year in the UFL or Canada, or even just working out with a private quarterback coach, and then rolling the dice in the 2012 draft.

My reasoning is this: Is Pryor not the kind of fellow who could seduce a team with mind-blowing individual workouts and insane combine numbers? By all accounts, physically, he's a beast -- more on that in a minute -- and aren't there always teams who can't resist spending a high draft pick on a beast, regardless of character or maturity concerns?

On that front, here are some reviews from people who have witnessed Pryor's workouts in person. First, Chad Ochocinco:

"Dude's arm strength [and] timing was unbelievable. I don't care what ESPN said, I don't care what they report, I saw with my own eyes. I've seen every NFL quarterback play. Dude, it was unbelievable. With the right coaching, he can become a great NFL quarterback because he has all the tools. He has all the tools that these scouts look for in a quarterback."

And ESPN's Jon Gruden:

"This is a freak of nature. This guy is really something with the ball in his hands. Terrelle Pryor can run and he can throw and he's a hell of a competitor. You might have to cater your offense, to a degree, towards his strengths, but I think this guy can develop his passing."

And right now, the consensus on this guy is that he's worth about a fourth-rounder? I think he could do better. I'm not sure I'd want my team to spend a high draft pick on him, I'm just saying, in the past, guys have been drafted highly based on solely their physical attributes.

As far as Pryor's character concerns, I think we should be careful not to confuse NCAA violations with actually immorality. Maybe maturity's a concern (as it is for nearly every other 22-year-old on the planet), but character? It may be a little rash to assume that that's a problem.

Atlanta Hawks Carmelo Anthonyy Kevin Garnett Miami Heat Tyson Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment